The Best Shoes for Neuropathy
For diabetics dealing with foot pain and numbness associated with neuropathy, having comfortable and supportive shoes is critical to maintaining mobility and freedom. Propét Footwear has a wide variety of sneakers, boots, sandals and more made to help ease discomfort caused by neuropathy.
While shopping, be sure to look for these icons for added comfort and protection:
These styles feature footbeds that can be removed to accommodate custom orthotics.
OrthoLite® insoles are made of open cell, lightweight foams that create a cooler, drier shoe interior without adding unwanted bulk or weight. It's comfort from the inside out.
With the Propét EV (extra volume) insole system, customized fit and comfort is easy. Remove the bottom insole to provide a little extra volume or remove both to accommodate custom orthotics.
These styles have been approved for reimbursement under the Medicare Therapeutic Shoes for Persons with Diabetes Benefit (also known as the Therapeutic Shoe Bill).
Why Do You Need Shoes for Neuropathy?
Neuropathy is a condition that affects the nerves, often causing numbness, tingling, and pain, particularly in the extremities such as the feet. People with neuropathy may benefit from wearing Propét neuropathy shoes for several reasons:
- Protection from Injury: Neuropathy can result in a decreased ability to feel sensations in the feet, making individuals more susceptible to injuries. Shoes designed for neuropathy often have extra padding and protective features to reduce the risk of cuts, bruises, and other injuries.
- Pressure Distribution: Neuropathy can cause changes in the distribution of pressure on the feet, leading to areas of increased pressure that can result in calluses or ulcers. Properly designed shoes can help distribute pressure more evenly, reducing the risk of these complications.
- Cushioning and Support: Shoes for neuropathy typically have extra cushioning and support to provide comfort and reduce the impact on the feet. This is particularly important for individuals who may have decreased sensation and are less aware of their foot position and movements.
- Accommodation for Foot Deformities: Neuropathy can sometimes lead to foot deformities, such as changes in the arch of the foot. Specialized shoes may be designed to accommodate these deformities, providing a better fit and reducing discomfort.
- Reducing Friction: Neuropathy can lead to dry skin and a lack of natural lubrication, increasing the risk of friction-related injuries. Shoes with smooth interiors and moisture-wicking properties can help reduce friction and prevent skin problems.
- Stability and Traction: Neuropathy can affect balance and coordination, making individuals more prone to falls. Shoes with good stability and traction can help prevent slips and falls.
We believe everyone has the right to walk the dog, jog, run errands, hike, work, take a line-dancing class, mow the lawn, travel, or even play a game of hopscotch, really whatever you want, without foot pain. Our comfortable shoes for neuropathy can help you lead full and active lives without fearing for the health of their feet.